Education is the cornerstone of our mission at Texas State Aquarium. Our educational experiences – from field trips to summer camp to distance learning- are designed to promote inclusive and collaborative learning, foster STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) exploration and discovery and empower learners of all ages to reach their full potential.
Through its Flint Hills Resources Center for Excellence in STEM Education, the Texas State Aquarium brings together best practices and innovation from the fields of education, research and industry to advance STEM education and learning, in and out of the classroom, in south Texas and beyond. Flint Hills Resources has also been our longtime presenting partner for our Aquavision Distance Learning program.
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) concepts and processes are central pillars of all TSA educational programming.
- Sparking interest in and curiosity for the natural world helps foster science discovery and learning.
- Supporting enjoyment and fun is integral to the creation of meaningful and sustained learning.
- All STEM disciplines can be explored and understood through an ocean/aquatic-centric theme.
- Recognizing and incorporating prior knowledge into an interaction facilitates conversation and personalizes the learning experience.
- Creating experiences that use multiple modalities promotes inclusion for a wide variety of participants.
- Participation in collaborative learning activities encourages an active exchange of ideas, understanding and explanations (by the participants) and promotes critical thinking.
- A hands-on exploration of (and in) nature can promote a sense of connection to and stewardship for the environment.
- Science is an iterative, ongoing and variable process that can be experienced by making observations, asking questioning, testing ideas, being creative, and sharing information and explanations.
- Student or learner-centered experiences cultivate self motivation, reflection and active learning, all of which support the student in the construction of their own understanding and learning.
Learn more about our dynamic and diverse education team under About Us