- Installation of automatic light switches in a number of areas to eliminate lights being left on for extended periods of time.
- Extensive use of compact fluorescent light fixtures through the facility helps conserve electricity, and a transition towards LED lighting will further reduce energy use.
- New programmable thermostats have been installed in office spaces so that areas can be cooled more efficiently and only when needed.
- Purchased an electric golf cart to replace a gasoline powered truck for parking and security operations, and have installed photo voltaic cells on the carts for recharging.
- Installation of timers on vending machines that previously ran 24 hours per day.
- Purchased and installed a solar array with a grant from Green Mountain Energy.
- Automatic faucets and waterless urinals have been installed in all high use public restrooms to reduce water use.
- Implementation of a new cleaning and filtration system on waterfall basins, which has eliminated the need for weekly dumping and refilling.
- TSA staff has long recycled paper, cardboard, and plastic
- New recycling containers have been installed in public locations to encourage guests to recycle whenever possible.
- A new recycling container specifically designed for guest’s maps and program schedules has been installed near the Aquarium’s exit.
- Offering reusable trays rather than non-reusable plastic bags for meals in the food court.
- Switched to offering our guests biodegradable paper straws, which are also not harmful to our animal collection or local wildlife.
- Switched to using biodegradable bamboo plates at our annual fundraising gala.
Education and Public Outreach
- Developed a new “eco tip” newsletter that is emailed to all staff.
- Dramatically reduced the amount of bottled water purchased, and installed new on-site tap water purification systems to replace bottled water.
- Several of our larger landscaping beds have been converted to xeriscape beds, using drought-tolerant plant species and crushed granite material instead of plant-based mulch.
We partner with the following conservation-minded organizations:
For more information on theAquarium Green Team, or how you can contribute to our conservation efforts, email firstname.lastname@example.org